Thursday 9 September 2010

It's been raining on Feckenham

After recent heavy rain the reserve is showing surface water for the first time this summer. This is good news as our new ponds are full to the brim, in fact the larger dragonfly pond has overflowed.


There is a massive invasion of mosquito larva in the dipping pond. The surface is virtually covered; there must be millions. I just hope that I am not around the day they all hatch!


Today I photographed this kestrel with it's catch. It was on the wires and flew down very leisurely onto something in the ct meadow. It 'mantled' and as I got nearer it flew up into the oak with what I could see was a very big frog. I managed to watch it for about ten minutes devouring the prey.


Not many butterflies about at the moment but our first painted lady today and a couple of red admirals. Plenty of emperor dragonfly over the main pool and willow warblers still around. The cattle are making good headway with grazing the cut meadows and the new fresh lush growth looks excellent.Best wishes


Paul, Feckenham Wylde Moor

No comments:

Post a Comment