Wednesday 21 September 2011

Chance Wood - Now & Then


I suppose you might think the title of this piece refers to my commitment to keeping up with the volunteer blog for Chance Wood but, in fact, I thought I'd show some of the changes which have taken place in the wood since I first got to know it.   

This has been inspired by a bit of a tidy up at home in the course of which I’ve rediscovered a CD of photos sent to me by Tony Williams who volunteered in the wood in the mid 80s and early 90s.  These are scanned copies of slides taken at that time.  Due to the soil conditions and rapid drainage the woodland takes a long time to recover from any work we do, we’ve come to accept that, and so it was quite surprising to see how much the wood has developed over the last 25yrs or so.
 
I’ve tried to take pictures today from the same spot as the originals although obviously the time of day / year is different.
Gateway 1980s

Gateway now
We spent many hours discussing how to restore the summerhouse - until it collapsed!
Summer House 1980s

Summer house now
Many photographs were taken from the bird hide, we could never have dreamed how digital photography and  21st century equipment would have revolutionised our results.
Bird hide 1980s

Bird hide now
 Who keeps moving the gravestones around?  - that’s not a quiz question like Paul’s Feckenham Blog!

Pet cemetery 1980s

Pet cemetery now

 Roger, Chance Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment